Part of the app design process includes polish. Thankfully many developers on our preferred platform do spend time getting the UI right. I've heard from many on CocoaRadio who want to do all the pieces well, but often don't know where to turn. If this describes you, a stop by #macsb or #cocoadevhouse on IRC could net some pointers.
I'm linking to a blog post by Jasper Hauser, the Dutch designer, where he gives a detailed look "AppZapper Inside". In the earlier CocoaRadio interview with the MacGrab team, Phil Ryu project co-ordinator on Menuet, alluded to Jasper's forthcoming post.
With all of the things you got to get right when launching and managing an app or portfolio of apps, you might consider partnering with or hiring others with passion and aptitude in areas such as:
- Creative sales and marketing approaches like MacGrab, a project during Macworld by Brian Ball
- UI design, e.g, Bobby Andersen's icon/UI work on MemoryMiner
- Icon design
- Website concept and design, e.g., AppZapper (a lightweight site that tells enough to sell the app, imo)
- Product naming and branding
- Blogosphere promotion, CocoaRadio could help get your story out
One look at Jasper's work on AppZapper made me realize I have no business cooking up icons for Cocoa apps stewing in my mind ;)